CynThoughts

Sunday, July 25, 2004

End of the End of the Week

It's Sunday evening, and finally some time to sit and update the blog, as several of my inquiring readers have requested. At least it's good to know that somebody's reading. I may as well give them [you] reason to continue doing so.

Friday was... interesting. Anna had a slumber party at her house, "The kind we used to have in the 3rd grade," according to the Evite. Expecting that it would be all girls, I was surprised to see a guy there, wearing one of Anna's outfits, and serving tamales, hostess cakes, and anything else we asked for. One of the best things about Anna's place is the view - her huge patio looks out over the Houston Medical Center and Downtown. We sat outside for part of the evening. When it was time to go home, Wayne picked me up. He knew that we'd have been drinking and wanted me to enjoy myself without having to drive. Isn't he sweet?

My disclaimer here is that Anna's party is not my normal type of weekend. Saturday and Sunday are a lot more in-character for me. Read: boring.

Saturday morning I overslept and completely missed both my running group with HoustonFit and the Toastmasters seminar for contest competitors. Note to self: remember to set the alarm when I have to get up early. That evening Wayne and I took advantage of the gift certificate I had won in last week's Christmas in July raffle: $50 at Rio Ranch Steakhouse. It was more food than two people, or even four, could reasonably be expected to eat. We still had creme brulee for dessert, though. Who could expect us to pass that up?

This morning started with an 'elegant' IHOP brunch. Though it normally wouldn't be noteworthy to have done this, we made an observation. The small restaurant was packed out the door, which would be enough for most people to leave and go some place else. After all, this is IHOP food we're talking about, not something that's actually worth waiting for. When we approached the counter, however, we were ushered immediately to a table for two. The way that this place works is that most of the tables are small, made for two to four people - tops. Perhaps they have one six-person table there, but not more than that. In addition, these tables cannot be moved. Most are booths, but the tables are also not movable, as they are attached to the walls. We also noticed that we fit just about right in the small two-person booth; if we had been any larger than our very average-to-small sizes, we may have been less than comfortable.

It stands to reason, knowing these things, that large groups nor overly large people would frequent this restaurant. However, that's at last 80% of what we saw. As we left the restaurant, there was a family waiting outside with at least 17-18 people. About half were kids. All were more than overweight. We made the observation that after waiting outside for 30 minutes, they would probably have to sit at no less than four separate tables and be uncomfortable. It was doubtful that they'd leave a tip after that. It must be days like today that makes the servers want to work at House of Pies.

Back to how my day went. This afternoon was full of errand-running and being productive. I got my car cleaned out, which is a Herculean feat in itself. My desk and paperwork desperately needed organization. And I went through my clothes and shoes for a second round of charity sweep and got rid of a laundry basket each of clothes and shoes.

I even had dinner with my mom tonight. Since she and my dad have been going through a divorce, she talks to me much more openly now. I have to say, it's strange. My parents, as it turns out, are real people with feelings. Who'd have known?

Join me for more exciting updates this week, as I finish more on my to-do list, including: buy a hamper, send thank-you notes, get a watch battery, and donate my old books. I may have to put an "explicit" warning on this blog! Let me add 'take the dog to the groomer,' because she's here under my chair and smells rained-on. Yuck.